October is going to be another big one in terms of over spending. There’s a number of things that I didn’t do in September that I want to purchase in October. These are mostly holiday related expenses. I did knock a few of those out last month but they weren’t the ones that I actually wanted to pay for but they needed to be done regardless and now they are.
Here is what I plan on spending in October
- One piece bathers – up to $100.00
- High waisted bloomers/dance shorts – up to $50.00
- Heels for dancing – up to $80.00
- Accomodation for QLD – up to $1500.00
- Flights to NZ – up to $1000.00
- Money for Oktober festival event – up to $100.00
- Uber for friend’s engagement party – up to $50.00
- Car Registration – $800.00
- Twerk Class – $100.00
- Additional dance class – $100.00
- House of Dior exhibition tickets – $26.00
- Doctors appointment – $80.00
This is my list of additional purchases.
- Black loafers/shoes for work – up to $150.00
A new water bottle that tallies how many bottles have been drunk, is BPA free and made of glass – $50.00I bought this last month.
Single serve bowls that can be microwaved x 4 – up to $50.00I’ve decided I no longer want this item. Initially I wanted these for single serve soups/casseroles but now it’s coming into summer I’m going take these off my list until next year
iPod – $219.00
Item is no longer available
- iPod Touch – $258 – $298
I haven’t decided which one I want, the 16GB or the 32GB. I’ll wait and see what sort of vouchers I get for Christmas before deciding
- Flat black ankle boots – up to $200
I had an update with the new door. The permit has only just been assigned to a case officer so hopefully we’ll have some sort of idea of costs in the next couple of weeks. My fiance’s roster has changed so it means he won’t be getting as much overtime as he previously was so I may have to put a hold on the furniture and artwork but that’s ok. It’s nearing Christmas so I may be able to score some cash or vouchers for those sorts of things.
Budget Spend – $3986.00
Additional Spend – $648.00
Wow, I did really bad at calculating all my expenses this month. I’m so over and I knew it around the 20th July which was 6 days after pay day.
Here’s how I fared in July’s Intentional Spending.
- Lunch at the Sofitel for a friend’s birthday – $110.00
Lunch ended up being $116.00. And delicious.
- Xrays etc for surgery – $850.00
Xrays and moulds were taken – $850.00
- Dinner with friends – $100.00
My fiance paid for this dinner.
- Train/Uber for Barossa Dirt – $30.00
We used the train both ways – $6.00
- Drinks for when my best friend is back in town from overseas – $50.00
Drinks turned into lunch first so I paid for that – $62.10
- Train/Uber for fiance’s mid year social for work – $50.00
Got the train to and from the event – $6.00
Here’s how I overspent
- Dinner after Barossa Dirt – $82.00
- Forgot about my water bill – $232.00
- Going away drinks for a colleague. Not once, but twice. And I paid for the first rounds. I have to stop doing that because I’m always driving so never get shouted drinks – $42.00
- Forgot about the coaching course I signed up for. Whilst I had the deposit money saved, I forgot about the monthly payments – $396.00
- Impromptu dinner out with girlfriends. One decided on a last minute visit from Perth so of course that meant dinner and drinks – $25.00
- New headlights as both my mine blew within a couple weeks of each other – $19.00
- New Pj’s – $24.00
- Internet Extender (so the wifi actually reaches my old bedroom whilst I’m staying at my parents place – $49.95
- New jacket – $39.00
- Online Diploma (I like studying for fun) – $49.00
I spent an extra $957.95. Whilst it is a lot, I’ve included the water bill in there. Part of my savings strategy is to put away money for these types of bills but if I can, I like to just pay them out of my everyday account because then the money I’ve put in the savings can be moved to an actual savings account. The course is something I’m going to have to be really mindful of because it is almost $400.00 extra a month that I knew about but didn’t really realise it if you get me. I know I can do it – it may mean tweaking how much I’m putting away for stuff for a few months.
I also bought an item that wasn’t on my list nor was it on my clothing list but an item I realised I wanted whilst reading Natalie’s Intentional Spending post and that is a leather jacket. Initially I wanted a real leather jacket and was happy to spend up to $300.00 but wasn’t happy with anything I’d found. I was in Target one day wandering and found a faux leather jacket that I quite liked. It had silver hardware which was good as I don’t like the gold and whilst it had zip details it didn’t go overboard. Plus it was on sale for $39.00 so I decided to buy it. I’m really happy with the purchase because it was pretty much exactly how I envisioned what I wanted except it’s not actual leather.
I didn’t purchase anything under the Additional Purchases however my fiance did end up buying a doorbell. I’m fairly sure it’s haunted as it makes a weird barking/electronic noise in the middle of the night but it’s a doorbell that I did not have to pay for so it’s now crossed off the list.
Budget Spend- $1130.00
Actual Spend- $1040.10
Extra Spend – $957.95
I’m on a few forums and FB pages where there are weekly thankful/gratitude posts and I really do enjoy reading them. Not only do they act as reminders to be thankful for what you have but they can also give you a deeper understanding of the people you interact with and how they view themselves and their lives.
What I have noticed is a lot of people being thankful for things that, whilst I appreciate, I’ve come to expect. And I don’t necessarily believe that I’m in the wrong to expect these things.
One example was a woman who had a car accident (where she was unhurt but the car was a write-off). She was understandably shaken by the experience and she posted that she was so grateful that her husband “picked me up because he didn’t have to.”
I’m just going to write that down again. She was so grateful that her husband picked her up because he didn’t have to. Um WHAT?
That is definitely one situation where I would expect my fiance to come and get me. I would expect that he would stop what he was doing and come to me. Just like I would for him. In fact I’d be livid if he didn’t. Maybe it was the way she wrote it but to me it came off as if her husband did her this huge favour and not as something that a reasonable human being would do.
I have come to expect this sort of behaviour because of the way I was raised. I’ve regularly left work early if my fiance or family have needed me. When my mama was really ill last year I would never ask permission to leave work when she needed me, I simply told my boss something was up with my mum and that I was leaving and would either be back later that day or the I’d be back the next day. I understand that for some people their jobs aren’t as flexible or willing to appreciate that family and friends come first so maybe that’s why I am confused by some of these grateful declarations.
But you know what? It is something that I’m thankful for. I am thankful that I am in a relationship where its expected that we help each other out. I am thankful that my family have taught me what’s important in my life. I am thankful that the jobs I’ve held don’t require me 24/7 and I can leave when I need to. And I hope that the people out there who feel that they don’t deserve that sort of dedication realise that they actually do.