Looking back, I learnt many lessons during my 20’s. Lessons that I wish I had known then. I made a ton of mistakes and there were things I definitely could have done better and although I don’t have any real regrets about it I wish I had known the following.
- Be confident – about everything. You are awesome. Don’t shy away from groups. Don’t be afraid to be the centre of attention. Speak up and make yourself heard. Wear what you want. Do what you want.
- Friends don’t last forever – friendships fade out and that’s ok. We all grow up at different rates and sometimes we are friends with people for convenience sake.
- Save money – even 10% of what you earn. Especially if you still live at home and don’t pay rent.
- Invest – learn what investing means. And do it.
- Don’t get caught up in other people’s shit – mind your own business and stay out of everyone else’s. People will try and force you to take part but it doesn’t mean you need to.
- Say no without apology – for anything. Be polite but firm and don’t offer explanations.
- Don’t make yourself small – other people’s insecurities are not your problem. Be who you are whilst still being respectful but don’t let other people dictate how you behave just because they don’t feel good about themselves.
- Develop healthy habits – doing this from a young age makes it easier. Whilst you may be able to eat junk food everyday and have no issues, one day your body will revolt and you will struggle to develop healthy routines for yourself. Nourish yourself now.
- Stretch – every single day. Even a 5 minutes session before bed will make all the difference.
- Research options – it’s ok to take time to work out what you want. Whilst I don’t regret going to uni and doing any of the courses I did, I wish I had a clearer picture of what I wanted to do rather than just enrolling in anything.
- Your friends will make dumb relationship decisions – its not your job to fix them. It’s not even your job to listen to them if it’s getting you down. Its ok to say you’ve had enough.
What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were younger?