Wow, I did really bad at calculating all my expenses this month. I’m so over and I knew it around the 20th July which was 6 days after pay day.
Here’s how I fared in July’s Intentional Spending.
- Lunch at the Sofitel for a friend’s birthday – $110.00
Lunch ended up being $116.00. And delicious.
- Xrays etc for surgery – $850.00
Xrays and moulds were taken – $850.00
- Dinner with friends – $100.00
My fiance paid for this dinner.
- Train/Uber for Barossa Dirt – $30.00
We used the train both ways – $6.00
- Drinks for when my best friend is back in town from overseas – $50.00
Drinks turned into lunch first so I paid for that – $62.10
- Train/Uber for fiance’s mid year social for work – $50.00
Got the train to and from the event – $6.00
Here’s how I overspent
- Dinner after Barossa Dirt – $82.00
- Forgot about my water bill – $232.00
- Going away drinks for a colleague. Not once, but twice. And I paid for the first rounds. I have to stop doing that because I’m always driving so never get shouted drinks – $42.00
- Forgot about the coaching course I signed up for. Whilst I had the deposit money saved, I forgot about the monthly payments – $396.00
- Impromptu dinner out with girlfriends. One decided on a last minute visit from Perth so of course that meant dinner and drinks – $25.00
- New headlights as both my mine blew within a couple weeks of each other – $19.00
- New Pj’s – $24.00
- Internet Extender (so the wifi actually reaches my old bedroom whilst I’m staying at my parents place – $49.95
- New jacket – $39.00
- Online Diploma (I like studying for fun) – $49.00
I spent an extra $957.95. Whilst it is a lot, I’ve included the water bill in there. Part of my savings strategy is to put away money for these types of bills but if I can, I like to just pay them out of my everyday account because then the money I’ve put in the savings can be moved to an actual savings account. The course is something I’m going to have to be really mindful of because it is almost $400.00 extra a month that I knew about but didn’t really realise it if you get me. I know I can do it – it may mean tweaking how much I’m putting away for stuff for a few months.
I also bought an item that wasn’t on my list nor was it on my clothing list but an item I realised I wanted whilst reading Natalie’s Intentional Spending post and that is a leather jacket. Initially I wanted a real leather jacket and was happy to spend up to $300.00 but wasn’t happy with anything I’d found. I was in Target one day wandering and found a faux leather jacket that I quite liked. It had silver hardware which was good as I don’t like the gold and whilst it had zip details it didn’t go overboard. Plus it was on sale for $39.00 so I decided to buy it. I’m really happy with the purchase because it was pretty much exactly how I envisioned what I wanted except it’s not actual leather.
I didn’t purchase anything under the Additional Purchases however my fiance did end up buying a doorbell. I’m fairly sure it’s haunted as it makes a weird barking/electronic noise in the middle of the night but it’s a doorbell that I did not have to pay for so it’s now crossed off the list.
Budget Spend- $1130.00
Actual Spend- $1040.10
Extra Spend – $957.95